Friday, January 2, 2015


One of my absolute favorite projects from last year. This painting was inspired by a piece of great line art created in the early 70's by the late great George Watson, (also my children's grandfather). I loved his graphic style and how he was an excellent designer AND illustrator of many styles- not an easy task. He worked the Detroit ad agencies in the 70's - 90's, and continued his wizardry in Traverse City opening his own ad agency AND an historical Victorian bed and breakfast. A very busy and great man for sure, wish I could've met him.
When I would see this original art hanging in my hallway, my wandering mind couldn't help but fill in the gaps around the edges, which eventually set me in motion to do just that, fill in the gaps. I was inspired to create an appropriate background to complement George's great use of line, shape and character in his work. I was also inspired by my love of classic Warner Brothers cartoons and a of influence from R. Crumb too. I painted this on canvas as a birthday gift to my wife. It is 16 x 20 and was done in acrylic paint.

No comments: